October 3, 2012

No Comment

Last summer I planted four zucchini plants in my garden and had so many beautiful zucchini I could not even give them all away. So, this summer I only planted two zucchini plants. Guess what? I still had zucchini coming out my ears.

So, I dug around in my mom's old recipe file and found a recipe for zucchini bread. The recipe looks very old but I have tried it several times now and no matter how sloppy I get in the kitchen, it always comes out perfect.

This zucchini bread is not really bread as we usually think of bread. It is sweet and more akin to a coffee cake. It serves well as dessert with milk or coffee.

Before we get to the recipe, just one note. The recipe fills one 9x5 three inch deep loaf pan to the top. I have found that making 2 smaller loafs gives better results. If you make one big loaf it's a little difficult to get the insides completely cooked before the outside begins to burn because the batter is very moist.

So, I make two smaller loafs and find they they cook perfectly without too much peeking.

O.K., here we go:

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup raisins (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2.Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans. Set aside
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla.
4. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Raisins are optional.
5. Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well into a smooth batter.
6. Divide batter into prepared pans.
7. Bake 60-70 minutes (a toothpick or knife stuck into top should come out clean)

Watch and check for browning of the top after about 40 minutes. I have experienced a wide range of cooking time required using different ovens. The total bake time may vary from 45-70 minutes.

Make sure to do the toothpick test in step six to ensure the inside is cooked through.

This zucchini bread will keep very moist out on the counter for several days (if it last that long).

K.A. Miller is a freelance writer and webmaster for http://www.olsouthrecipes.com/ a free Southern recipes site.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer