Here is the recipe to prepare bitter gourd as an Indian dish. This is the stuffed recipe, but it can be done without stuffing as well.
2 Bitter melon
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 inch ginger piece
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli (optional)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 raw mango pulp
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp mustard oil
1. Peel the skin of bitter melon and mix it with the 1/2 tsp salt. Keep it aside for minimum one hour. Salt takes out the bitterness. Make a slit in the melon length wise and rub rest of the salt in and out of it. Keep them aside for an hour too.
2. Blend the onion, ginger, garlic, green chilli and raw mango and Make a thick paste of it.
3. Now heat the mustard oil in a frying pan, till it becomes light in color than its original color. When the oil starts looking transparent, it is ready to be used for cooking spices.
4. Turn off the heat for a while to cool the oil. When it is warm, turn the flames on and keep it low or medium. Add the dry spices and fry them. Now add the paste prepared in the step 2. Fry this paste until it turns brown.
5. Now add the peeled skin of the melon and cook it on low / medium flame heat and let it cool again.
6. Take the bitter melon and drain the salty water. Fill the peeled skin mix in the slits and cook it covered until is cooked. It might take 10 minutes on medium flames. Stuffed bitter melon is ready.
The bitter melon prepared this way, does not taste bitter. The raw mango and the mustard oil takes away the bitterness of it while cooking.
If somebody is not interested in stuffing the bitter melon, they can cut it into small pieces and rub salt around the pieces. Keep them aside for an hour. Follow the step 1, step 2, step 3 and step 4 as described above. In step 5, just add the melon pieces while adding the peeled salty skin and cook it covered for around 15 to 20 minutes. A plain bitter melon recipe will be ready.
This can be served as a side dish in the main course.
If you'd like to try more Indian recipes, here are other recipes at http://www.indianfood-recipes.in/