Homemade Pork Stew
* 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut in 1 1/2-inch bits
* Salt and pepper
* 6 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 medium onions, diced
* 4 medium carrots, diced
* 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
* 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 cup diced canned or fresh tomatoes
* 2 cups chicken broth (bouillon)
* 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* Cooked buttered egg noodles
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a heavy casserole over medium-high heat. Brown the pork well in batches. Remove to a bowl.
Wipe casserole clean and heat the remaining oil over low heat. Add onions, carrots, and apples. Stir until softened, 10 minutes, adding the garlic in the last 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except noodles. Return pork and any juices to the casserole.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring, until the meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf; adjust seasonings. Serve over egg noodles in shallow bowls.